DETOX Step2 - Prepare Physically

DETOX Step2 - Prepare Physically

Jun 18, 2024

Note: Consult your physician, or holistic practitioner, first if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, elderly, underweight, suffering from high blood pressure or other underlying conditions, or under a practitioner's care.

Never compare your health challenges or goals with others, or pattern your treatment after others. Your vehicle on this road to wellness is a one-person carriage!

Things to prepare before detoxing

While I’m not a proponent of “wait ‘til Monday morning” dieting, I realize (after over a decade of participating in various fasts) that you also don’t want to set yourself up for failure. Therefore, don't detox during certain times, i.e., vacationing and holidays, and stay clear of dates on your calendar for weddings, birthdays, or special occasion meals.

This is why detoxing quarterly on the first day of each season (winter solstice, spring equinox, summer solstice, fall equinox) has proven very effective. You know that day is approaching so there’s no excuse for unpreparedness.

Another reason to plan and have a rather open schedule is that some people may experience a slight 'cleansing' reaction in the first few days of fasting. This could be dizziness, headaches, or loose bowel movements. This is due to the sudden withdrawal of certain foods or the stimulation of your detoxifying organs. Hang in there; don’t be frightened! These symptoms cause no harm to you and should disappear in 24 to 48 hours.

Foods to avoid before, during, and immediately after detoxing

· Alcohol

· Cigarettes

· Milk and other dairy products

· Sugar, honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners

· Coffee

· Grains: wheat (bread, biscuits, cakes, pasta), rye, barley, oats, spelt and rice

· Dried fruit

Foods to enjoy during your fast (and at all times)

While I must maintain my belief that a raw, plant-based, whole food regimen is best for everyone for optimum health, I realize most people aren’t there mentally or emotionally and therefore, not physically either. Some may never be there. And that is quite alright! For instance, these days, I am only 100% raw when I need to clear my body of some allergies or other annoying body aches. Otherwise, I'm only 85% raw. With the other 15%, I eat cooked beans and soups, some crackers, sprouted bread, and occasionally salmon if it's wild-caught. So, start where you are and be grateful for the journey.

That being said, the following foods are what some non-vegan nutritionists approve to eat. Attempt to limit your food intake to these items only throughout the detox period:

· Fruit: any and all fresh fruit

· Vegetables: any and all fresh vegetables

· Fish: fresh, canned in water or olive oil

· Lean red meat, chicken (without the skin). Limit to two serves per week.

· Legumes: dried or canned, such as kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils

· Eggs: preferably organic

· Olive oil (preferably extra virgin), Coconut oil (unprocessed)

· Nuts: raw unsalted almonds, walnuts, macadamias and cashews

· Seeds: raw unsalted sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds

· Green tea, white tea, weak black tea (decaffeinated)

· Water: from one to three liters of water per day

Now that you know how to get mentally ready and physically ready, let's get this party started and the detox juices pouring! Read the next blogs for suggestions on how!